Subject: Wikipedia and conservation--addendum

Wikipedia and conservation--addendum

From: Daniel Cull <culld<-a>
Date: Friday, June 27, 2008
Richard McCoy <rmccoy [at] imamuseum__org> writes

>Some significant improvements have been made to the Wikipedia
>article for "Art conservation," but it still has a long way to go.
>
>    <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_conservation>
>
>If we all pitch in a little bit, the article could become a more
>true definition of art conservation and perhaps a an internet
>resource for everyone.

I just wanted to add to the comments that Richard made, to say that
in addition to the "Art Conservation" page

    <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_conservation>

Work has also been started on beginning some associated pages.
Including

    Art Conservation Training
    <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_conservation_training>
and

    Conservation Associations and Professional Organizations
    <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
        Conservation_Associations_and_Professional_Organizations>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Obviously these pages are just beginning to take shape, but, there
are already some great pages on Wikipedia about other aspects of
conservation. It would be great if more conservators could pitch in
to improve these pages to the same level of those. If anyone wants
to help out, but is not sure how to start out, feel free to contact
me directly. The wikipedia help pages are also very useful.

One specific area that help is really needed is with sourcing
images. That can be used on Wikipedia. Ideally copyright free images
would be the most useful. However, if people have images that cannot
be used without copyright, there is a way that some copyright can be
retained that might be more appealing, for example:

    "Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Generic"
    <URL:http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/>

    **** Moderator's comments: Just a note to clarify, lest anyone
    misconstrue Daniel's note: The above is a license. It does not
    nullify copyright but is a mechanism by which the copyright
    owner may grant rights for specific uses of the image. The point
    I'm trying to make, is that the license is something that must
    be granted by the copyright *owner*; you can't simply take a an
    image you have and apply this (or any) to a work whose copyright
    is owned by someone else.

Daniel

                   Distributed: Tuesday, July 8, 2008