Subject: Framing

Framing

From: Kyla Ubbink <kyla.ubbink<-a>
Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Amber Morgan <morgana [at] warhol__org> writes

>I am hoping some conservators out there might help a registrar out.
>We have heard conflicting things regarding the use of spacers in
>frames, particularly for oversized works on paper.  Some
>conservators have encouraged the use of spacers as a method of
>keeping the surface of the print away from the glazing.  Others
>prefer no spacers, saying that the backing board alone isn't enough
>to support our oversized works and the pressure of the glazing on
>the mat is necessary to keep the object from bowing outwards.  Is
>there a preferred method among the conservation framing community?

We have recently been debating this issue in our lab, as we often
treat large maps. After weighing the two sides, my current feeling
is that so long as the artefact is properly Hinged to a sufficiently
sturdy board, like 8ply mat board backed up with sealed wood or
'Coroplast', there is no need to subject it to the risks of touching
either Plexiglas or glass. Both of these materials deteriorate with
age potentially leaching harmful by-products, and the static
electricity associated with plastic sheeting can pull media and
material from the surface of the artefact. The artefact also needs
breathing room in the advent of condensation and space for expansion
and contraction.

For more information on hinging works-on-paper refer to CCI  Notes
11/5. With a 5 x 5 foot map I generally use 4 x 4 inch hinges made
form Kozuke Ivory Japanese Paper adhered with wheat starch paste. I
use 8 hinges in total, four along the top and four along the bottom.
The hinges go at 6 inch and 22 inch from either edge. When mounting
to the backing board, the hinges are either feed through slots or
wrapped over the top and bottom edges and adhered to the verso of
the mat board. This places the weight on the backing board and not
the hinges. Hope this is helpful,

Kyla Ubbink
Kyla Ubbink Book and Paper Conservation
6544 Bilberry Drive