Subject: Vibration datalogger

Vibration datalogger

From: Ian Gibb <igibb<-a>
Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Kilian Anheuser <kilian.anheuser [at] ville-ge__ch> writes

>To quantify the problem at reasonable expense, I am thinking of
>acquiring two vibration dataloggers. After a quick market survey,
>the Tinytag Plus vibration logger appears to me to be the most
>appropriate. Has anyone got experience with this type of datalogger,
>or have I overlooked an alternative?

At Historic Royal Palaces, we have used the Tinytag Plus vibration
logger (which measures within the range 0-5g) for about 2 years for
routine vibration monitoring around our sites to assess the relative
risks posed by visitor numbers and special events.  It forms part of
our Key Performance Indicator programme to monitor and reduce the
environmental risks posed to our collections.  We have used more
sophisticated equipment for short in-depth studies, but have found
the Tinytags a satisfactory solution for this longer-term routine
monitoring spread over many locations.  One must of course be aware
of the limitations of these cheaper loggers, such as being uniaxial
(only detects vibration in one direction) and the need for regular
manual downloads.  A problem with vibration monitoring in general is
the need for very solid fixings to the object or surface being
measured, the best solution being screws--this is a challenge when
working within a historic interior!

Dr Ian Gibb
Conservation Scientist
Hampton Court Palace