Subject: Foxing

Foxing

From: Peter Geraty <pgeraty<-a>
Date: Thursday, June 19, 2008
I am about to treat a book with foxing throughout the text.  It was
printed in France in the twenties or thirties.  The foxing is not
the "bulls-eye" type but appears as both individual, amorphous spots
and coin size areas of light colored staining with darker spots
within those stains.  The book has a slightly musty smell, so I am
assuming the foxing is more a matter of poor storage than impurities
in the paper.  The book will be disbound and with the exception of a
few hand-colored plates may be washed.  The paper the book is
printed on is a BFK Rives with a vanity watermark in it.

In the past I have used hydrogen peroxide to bleach the foxing
stains.  It that still considered the best method?  Are there newer
thoughts on treating foxing?  I would love to hear anything anyone
can offer.

Peter Geraty
Praxis Bindery
1 Cottage Street, Unit 18