Subject: Leather flight coat

Leather flight coat

From: Sue Warren <swarren<-a>
Date: Friday, June 20, 2008
We have in the collection of the Canada Aviation Museum two
full-length leather flight coats, probably of British origin, dating
from the First World War.  Both of these coats are exhibiting severe
red-rot of the leather on all exterior surfaces, though some of the
interior surfaces still retain their original dark surface.  I have
read some recent postings about using Cellugel for deteriorated
leather, and was wondering if anyone had used it in a similar
application.  Any suggestions for consolidating  this leather
without stiffening or discolouring it, would be much appreciated.
One or both of the coats will be used in an upcoming exhibit.

Sue Warren
Conservator
Canada Science and Technology Museum
1867 St. Laurent Blvd.