Subject: Mirror

Mirror

From: Alicia Bjornson <ambjornson<-a>
Date: Thursday, June 19, 2008
Does anyone have any experience with repairing cracked mirrors?

I know a man who owns a large home ca 1848.  The house has a great
room with a large fireplace and a 4 x 6 foot mirror  mounted above
the mantel. I haven't seen the interior of the home, but the
exterior is great.  The story goes that when the  las owners had the
home, the great room was unheated during the winter.  Their boys had
been playing outside in the snow during the winter of 1948 and upon
retreating to the house started a great big fire in the fireplace
and the mirror cracked.  The present owner wants to keep the mirror
which is approx 160 years old, and stabilize the mirror. According
to the owner the silver is oxidizing and flaking. Any suggestions?

Alicia M. Bjornson

                   Distributed: Monday, June 23, 2008