Subject: New site--Cataloging

New site--Cataloging

From: J. Claire Dean <clairedean<-a>
Date: Sunday, June 15, 2008
This is an odd posting as it is not directly related to conservation
treatment, but useful in a more general way that I thought might be
of interest. For those of us who find themselves in a bookshop
staring at a volume and frantically trying to remember whether or
not we already have it in our library--a curse that seems to get
worse with age and a proportionately huge book collection, take a
look at <URL:http://www.librarything.com/>.

This is a simple web site that allows you to catalogue your books
fast and keep track of all those volumes. You enter basic title and
author and it will search various online resources for all the
details and create a record automatically. If it can't find the
book, you can complete the record manually. It also has lots of
other features that allow you to share your lists with others, write
reviews, contact other site members with similar tastes, or keep
everything private and simple.  The first 200 books can be entered
for free, after which you pay a user fee of $10 (for one year) or
$25 (for life).

And how is this useful when in the bookshop?  You can check on that
book by accessing your catalogue from your mobile phone's web
browser.

J. Claire  Dean
Dean and Associates Conservation Services
3438 NE 62nd  Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97213
USA
503-331-1972