Subject: Framing

Framing

From: Jonathan Browns <jonathan.browns<-a>
Date: Thursday, June 12, 2008
Amber Morgan <morgana [at] warhol__org> writes

>I am hoping some conservators out there might help a registrar out.
>We have heard conflicting things regarding the use of spacers in
>frames, particularly for oversized works on paper.  Some
>conservators have encouraged the use of spacers as a method of
>keeping the surface of the print away from the glazing.  Others
>prefer no spacers, saying that the backing board alone isn't enough
>to support our oversized works and the pressure of the glazing on
>the mat is necessary to keep the object from bowing outwards.  Is
>there a preferred method among the conservation framing community?

At the City of Ottawa's Public Art Program, we occasionally utilize
a stretched canvas as the support for oversized paper and fabric
based artworks, this is partly due to having no seams of a limited
size paper or mat board support as well it is light weight and
rigid.

Jonathan Browns
Cultural Planner Arts Collections
Public Art Program