Subject: E. Betul Cakirca awarded Nicholas Hadgraft Memorial Scholarship

E. Betul Cakirca awarded Nicholas Hadgraft Memorial Scholarship

From: Denise Troughton <denise.troughton<-a>
Date: Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Conservation by Design Limited (CXD) has awarded its coveted
Nicholas Hadgraft Memorial Scholarship to E. Betul Cakirca, a paper
conservator at Istanbul Muftulugu, Seri Siciller and Mesihat Archive
in Turkey.

Now in its fourth year, the scholarship awards UKP1000 towards the
cost of attending the Montefiascone Book Conservation Summer School,
a unique bookbinding course held each year in July/August in the
medieval town of Montefiascone, Italy.

Managing Director, Mike Brown said:

   "The Nicholas Hadgraft Memorial Scholarship continues to go from
    strength to strength and once again, the quality of submissions
    was exceptionally high. We chose Betul because we were
    particularly impressed with her enthusiasm and obvious
    dedication to increasing her knowledge and skills.  We also felt
    that there is a great need for trained conservators of library
    materials in Turkey and hope that this award will have long term
    benefits for book conservation in the country."

Betul intends to use her scholarship to attend two courses at the
Summer School at the end of August, The Cambridge Terrier - a
fifteenth century chemise binding and The Romanesque Book in Spain
and Northern Europe and is interested to learn more about European
bookbinding and sharing her experience and knowledge of Ottoman
heritage with other conservators.

For further information on the Nicholas Hadgraft Memorial
Scholarship, contact Conservation By Design on +44 1234 844 260 or
visit <URL:http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk>

The scholarship is offered in memory of Dr Nicholas Hadgraft, a good
friend of Conservation By Design who died tragically in 2004.
Nicholas was a fellow of the University of the Arts London and a key
collaborator on the "Squelch Drying" technique devised by Stuart
Welch (the founder of CXD), the most effective way to date of drying
valuable rare books.

For more information contact:

    Denise Troughton
    +44 1234 846 360
    +44 7817 518 250
    denise.troughton<-a t->conservation-by-design< . >co< . >uk

Conservation By Design is a European company supplying an
International client base. We manufacture and supply high quality
conservation storage, equipment and display products to Museums,
Libraries, Archives, Art Galleries, Historic Houses, Palaces and
Collectors.

                   Distributed: Sunday, June 22, 2008