Subject: Insect infestation in wooden icon

Insect infestation in wooden icon

From: Rachael Arenstein <rachaelarenstein<-a>
Date: Sunday, June 8, 2008
Anne Lane <alane [at] charlottemuseum__org> writes

>I received a heads-up today that I will be receiving a call
>concerning a possible insect infestation in a wooden icon. I am
>assuming it is painted on wood, possibly with gold leaf. I have no
>idea about its age, country of origin, etc. My question concerns the
>two major methods of treating insect problems that I am aware of,
>freezing and anoxia.

Several of the new resources on <URL:http://www.museumpests.net>
might be of interest to you.  On the site's Tools page there are
Treatment Fact Sheets that give an overview of the pros and cons of
some of the various pest management treatments such as
low-temperature, anoxia, etc..  Some also have associated case
studies and there are more in the works.

Rachael Perkins Arenstein
rachael<-a t->arensteinconservation< . >com
IPM-Working Group Secretary

                   Distributed: Sunday, June 15, 2008