Subject: Insect infestation in wooden icon

Insect infestation in wooden icon

From: Thomas A. Parker <bugman22<-a>
Date: Sunday, June 8, 2008
Anne Lane <alane [at] charlottemuseum__org> writes

>I received a heads-up today that I will be receiving a call
>concerning a possible insect infestation in a wooden icon. I am
>assuming it is painted on wood, possibly with gold leaf. I have no
>idea about its age, country of origin, etc. My question concerns the
>two major methods of treating insect problems that I am aware of,
>freezing and anoxia.

Wooden icons are very old; I doubt if it is an active infestation.
One would have to determine if it's active before doing anything to
it. Old beetle exit holes and galleries are very common in such old
pieces. Old powder may often be dislodged from the piece, making the
uninformed believe it to be active. Gesso and/or gold leaf may flake
off, exposing old exit holes or galleries.

Thomas A. Parker, PhD
President, Entomologist
Pest Control Services, Inc.
469 Mimosa Circle