Subject: Dendrochronology facility

Dendrochronology facility

From: Noelle Ocon <nocon<-a>
Date: Monday, June 2, 2008
Barbara Appelbaum <aandh [at] pop__mindspring__com> writes

>A client is bringing me a painting on wood with a Jewish subject,
>painted, he says, like an icon.  He thinks it may be related to the
>earliest Jews in Russia, so he would like to have it dated.  He has
>heard of dendrochronology and wants me to arrange for it.  Does
>anyone know of a facility in the U.S. that would able to do this?

Tomasz Wazny has studied with Peter Klein and has access to the
tree-ring databases.  We hired Tomasz to come down here with Carol
Griggs to take data from about 9 paintings.  He does not have to
take samples, but he does have to slightly shave down a side to
remove old varnish residue etc to get a clear view.  After he counts
and measures the distances between rings, he researches them back at
Cornell and sends you the information.  He was very thorough and
careful, and I highly recommend his work.

    <URL:http://dendro.cornell.edu/personal/tomasz.php>

Noelle Ocon
Associate Conservator of Paintings
North Carolina Museum of Art