Subject: A death

A death

From: Walter Henry <request<-a>
Date: Sunday, June 8, 2008
Anne D'Harnoncourt
Director and CEO of the Philadelphia Museum of Art

   "The Institute of Museum and Library Services is greatly saddened
    by the sudden loss of friend of the agency and the arts, Anne
    D'Harnoncourt, Director and CEO of the Philadelphia Museum of
    Art

   "Since 1997, she had served as both Director and Chief Executive
    Officer of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, one of the few women
    in the art community to hold such a prestigious museum
    directorship. Under her guidance, the Philadelphia Museum of Art
    flourished. Her contributions to the museum and to the art world
    are wide-reaching, and include her cultivation of a number of
    the museum's remarkable collections and her efforts to bring
    world-class exhibitions to the institution.

   "The breadth and scope of Anne's accomplishments are truly
    remarkable, and she will live on in the museum she loved and
    served, and in the hearts and minds of the art community. The
    Institute extends its deepest regrets to her husband and
    colleague, Joseph Rishel, and to her family. She will be greatly
    missed.

    For more details see

        <URL:http://www.imls.gov/news/2008/060208.shtm>

    Anne-Imelda Radice, Director of IMLS

Alicia Bjornson adds

   "Anne and the Museum had just completed the new conservation labs
    and new storage areas.  Though I do not work at Philadelphia
    Museum of Art, I had met Anne through conservation connections
    15 years ago.  There was a wonderful feature on a local news
    cast when the new labs opened. it was really refreshing to see
    the conservation field getting such positive PR and knowing that
    the collaborative effort to construct the new labs was a
    success. When AIC was in Philadelphia Anne d'Harnoncourt was our
    hostess and welcomed AIC to the PMA."

                   Distributed: Sunday, June 8, 2008