Subject: Dendrochronology facility

Dendrochronology facility

From: Peter D Verheyen <pdverhey<-a>
Date: Saturday, May 24, 2008
Barbara Appelbaum <aandh [at] pop__mindspring__com> writes

>A client is bringing me a painting on wood with a Jewish subject,
>painted, he says, like an icon.  He thinks it may be related to the
>earliest Jews in Russia, so he would like to have it dated.  He has
>heard of dendrochronology and wants me to arrange for it.  Does
>anyone know of a facility in the U.S. that would able to do this?
>If not, is there somewhere in Russia that could?  There are rather
>old articles in AATA on Russian research on the topic, but not
>recent ones.

Contact the Cornell Tree-Ring Laboratory at
<URL:http://dendro.cornell.edu>

Dendrochronology is a very small field. If it's outside their
geographic area, they will definitely know who to contact. Note that
this may not be an entire non-destructive process as either a core
sample or clean edge (sanding) may be required. This is my
father-in-law's area of expertise (he started the lab) and they have
dated historical instruments.

Peter D. Verheyen
Preservation and Digital Access Librarian
Special Collections Research Center
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244

                   Distributed: Friday, May 30, 2008