Subject: Permanent markers

Permanent markers

From: Mark D. Gottsegen <mdgottsegen<-a>
Date: Saturday, May 24, 2008
Meenakshi Devi <meenakshi2258 [at] yahoo__co__in> writes

>... For finer architectural details he uses
>permanent marker pens: Luxor, Camel, Staedler, Faber Castell, and
>projections with the use of Stic marker pens. The drawing in black
>have changed to a reddish brown colour.
>
>We would welcome any suggestions on the use of surface coatings for
>improving permanency and the qualities of permanent marker pens that
>have better permanency. Has anyone done any research on the life of
>drawings done in permanent marker?

I have been testing markers and inks (and other coloring materials)
for lightfastness since 1980.

Artists and others are sometimes confused by the use of the word,
"permanent."  More often than not, "permanent" means "washable," or
"can not be washed out."  In the context of marker pens, it rarely
means "durable," and the color changes you and your friend have
noticed are unfortunately quite common.

Solvent-based acrylic varnishes like Liquitex's "Soluvar" or
Golden's "MSA Varnish with UVLS," or Gamblin's "Gamvar" (a styrene
resin-based coating), may contain an ultraviolet light absorber and
a hindered amine light stabilizer--usually in a concentration of
about 4% of the total volume.  The acrylics have a higher molecular
weight than the styrene coating; the styrene coating will therefore
will provide more color saturation.  Be sure to check the container
label for wording that indicates the presence of the inhibitors. Any
of these will at least slow down the rate of color change, and
provide significant protection for the fugitive inks in the markers.
The artist will have to experiment on some test pieces to see that
the solvents in the coatings do not adversely affect the inks.

The artist should also search for markers whose makers claim that
they are "lightfast"--there are some out there.  If this term is not
right on the barrel of the pen, it may be in accompanying
literature. Query the manufacturer with the explicit question:  "Do
you make any claims for the light durability of your pens?"

I hope this is of some help,

Mark D. Gottsegen
Materials Research Director,
Co-Director, Art Materials Information and Education Network
Intermuseum Conservation Association
2915 Detroit Avenue
Cleveland OH 44113

                   Distributed: Friday, May 30, 2008