Subject: Electrolytic cathodic reduction

Electrolytic cathodic reduction

From: Diana Hamann <dhamann2000<-a>
Date: Sunday, May 25, 2008
I wish to thank Dr. Virginia Costa for her message on indoor air
corrosivity determination (Conservation DistList Instance: 21:59
Saturday, May 3, 2008). There are some points regarding the ISO
11844 standard, that remain unclear to me:

    Why are the metal coupons to be weighted, if their mass doesn't
    appear in the corrosion rate formula? (page 7 in the standard;
    as weighting after exposure could disturb the corrosion film and
    be another source of error).

    How do the dimensions of the working surface affect the current
    density (in order to reduce surface measure errors, and
    differences between specimens)?

Diana Hamann
Museo Historico Provincial
Rosario