Subject: Freezing Drums

Freezing Drums

From: Daniel Cull <culld<-a>
Date: Tuesday, May 20, 2008
I am writing with a query regarding freezing. I am currently
researching the effects of low temperature treatment (freezing for
pest eradication) of stretched rawhide, principally in the treatment
of drums.

I am interested in finding out if anyone has experienced damage as a
result of the freezing process, or conversely if anyone has frozen
drums with no ill effect. I am trying to get a basic straw poll as
to whether this procedure is undertaken and whether or not there are
often problems associated with the treatment. Any information would
be gratefully received.

Daniel Cull
Andrew W. Mellon Fellow
National Museum of the American Indian/Smithsonian Institution
4220 Silver Hill Road
Suitland, MD. 20746

                  Distributed: Saturday, May 24, 2008