Subject: Cleaning alabaster

Cleaning alabaster

From: Ben Hodgetts <antiquesman<-a>
Date: Sunday, May 18, 2008
Angie Elliott <angiemelliott [at] yahoo__com> writes

>I am currently researching alabaster cleaning techniques with the
>hope of doing a comparative study in the near future. ...

As a commercial conservator/restorer, depending on the results and
the amount of cleaning required, I have found that using plain white
bread rubbed over the surface can remove most grease and dirt.
Another method is to use a white eraser, as soft as possible, the
type that are used by artists working in pencil. Rub over effected
areas and remove debris by soft brush.

Benjamin J.S. Hodgetts
South Fitzroy Antiques
Australia