Subject: Vlaminck watercolor

Vlaminck watercolor

From: Alison Luxner <alisonluxner<-a>
Date: Monday, May 19, 2008
Susan Lunas <bookbinder [at] preserveyourtreasures__com> writes

>A client has a "Vlaminck" watercolor which is adhered to a 1/4 inch
>thick three-layered piece of binders board.  Is there anyone out
>there who has removed backings from Vlaminck watercolors and knows
>what adhesives were used to adhere the watercolor paper to the
>secondary support?  Ideas on how to easily test the adhesive, given
>these circumstances?

In the collection of the Worcester Art Museum we have many works on
paper that are adhered to various types of backing boards.  Unless
there is very real and immediate danger of damage being caused by
the backing, such as a board that is bent or broken, we leave the
backing attached. Housing a mounted work in a sink-type mat to
accommodate the thickness of the backing works quite well.

The likelihood of damage to an artwork as a result of a backing
removal almost always outweighs the benefits of that treatment.  The
Vlaminck watercolors I have seen can have both transparent and
opaque watercolor (gouache), with some areas of impasto.  This is
the sort of media that simply cannot withstand the moisture, heat
and mechanical action you would probably need to remove the backing.

Is there a compelling reason to remove the backing?  If not, I urge
you to leave the work as is.

Alison Luxner
Paper Conservator
Worcester Art Museum