Subject: Cleaning alabaster

Cleaning alabaster

From: Angie Elliott <angiemelliott<-a>
Date: Friday, May 9, 2008
I am currently researching alabaster cleaning techniques with the
hope of doing a comparative study in the near future. Alabaster is
problematic to clean because it is water-soluble but many have used
water bound in a poultice or gel to minimize contact or use acetone
or ethanol mixed with water for faster evaporation. I am curious to
hear what other conservators are using for cleaning. There is very
little information in the literature and there are no in-depth
studies.

Angie Elliott
Kress Fellow in Objects Conservation
The Walters Art Museum