Subject: Framing

Framing

From: Terry Marsh <tmarac<-a>
Date: Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Amber Morgan <morgana [at] warhol__org> writes

>I am hoping some conservators out there might help a registrar out.
>We have heard conflicting things regarding the use of spacers in
>frames, particularly for oversized works on paper.  Some
>conservators have encouraged the use of spacers as a method of
>keeping the surface of the print away from the glazing.  Others
>prefer no spacers, saying that the backing board alone isn't enough
>to support our oversized works and the pressure of the glazing on
>the mat is necessary to keep the object from bowing outwards.  Is
>there a preferred method among the conservation framing community?

In framing oversize works on paper the problem is making sure the
back mat does not distort. The choice of spacers or window mat is
more related to establishing the amount of space between the art and
the glazing.  The back mat could be counter mounted to a secondary
rigid support like archival honeycomb panel or foam cor so it does
not distort over time.

The window mat may indeed distort if it is restrained only at the
edges by spacers in the frame package, especially if it is squeezed.
too tight. Even if the window mat is touching the glazing the back
mat could distort if the size is beyond say 36 by 36 inches. It is
important to have a generous space between the art and the glazing
to allow for movement of the art. in relation to changes in
humidity. Possibly that is the reason to use both a window mat and
spacers. I would suggest you contact Drummond Framing or Jared Bark
Frameworks, both in NYC  who have vast experience framing oversize
works on paper.

Terry Marsh Art Conservation
140 Cutler Road
Greenwich, CT 06831