Subject: Camphor

Camphor

From: Renita Ryan <ryan.renita<-a>
Date: Monday, May 5, 2008
Our museum is phasing out the use of naphthalene in the entomology
store.  Historically, small containers of naphthalene were included
inside specimen drawers as a deterrent for insect pests.  The
naphthalene is now being removed for a number of reasons, but
primarily because of health and safety for staff in the workplace.
It has been suggested to me that we replace the naphthalene with
camphor.

I would like to know if anyone is using camphor in the place of
naphthalene, if it is successful at deterring insect pests,
(specifically the larvae of Anthrenus verbasci), and occupational
health and safety issues associated with its use.  Does it
crystallise out on specimens and specimen containers like
naphthalene?

Is anyone using any other kind of insect deterrent chemicals with
entomology collections?

Renita Ryan
Principal Conservator
Objects Artlab Australia