Subject: Polymers on cloth and shoes

Polymers on cloth and shoes

From: Ingrid Neuman <berkart<-a>
Date: Monday, May 5, 2008
We have a Gianni Versace red sheath dress which is composed of 51%
silk, 46% acetate and 3% polyurethane.  The top layer, the
polyurethane, is cracking at this point on one shoulder although the
dress has never been worn and has barely seen the light of day.  It
is curious that only one of the top seams is deteriorating.  Does
anyone else have any experience with this type of cloth from the
1990's?  Can anyone point me in the direction of some written
reference material regarding this polyurethane coating?

Also we have a pair of red high-heeled evening pumps that have a
"weeping" heel.  They were made in Italy by Susan Bennis Warren
Edwards.  Does anyone have any more information on the type of
polymer of which these heel bottoms were typically composed?

Ingrid A. Neuman
Museum Conservator
Rhode Island School of Design Museum of Art
Providence, Rhode Island

                    Distributed: Friday, May 9, 2008