Subject: Ultrasonic humidifier

Ultrasonic humidifier

From: Grace White <papergrace<-a>
Date: Thursday, May 8, 2008
Prue McKay <prue.mckay [at] aiatsis__gov__au> writes

>The ultrasonic humidifier in my lab has just given up the ghost and
>I need to buy a new one.  There are a lot of the 'domestic' kind out
>there (for setting up in kids' rooms etc) but I'm having trouble
>sourcing a lab-appropriate one, with a hose that can connect to a
>humidity chamber. The one that's just died is the "Pifco Model No.
>1074" and was purchased from Preservation Equipment Ltd, probably
>around 10 years ago.  ...

We recently tried and failed to buy that same humidifier, so we had
to settle for a domestic one.  Our American distributor for PEL
humidifiers (University Products) searched for a suitable
alternative, and they sent us the Vicks Ultrasonic Humidifier
V-5100-N which is similarly priced. Although it doesn't come with
attachments for hoses, it does have a lift-off mist output nozzle
which is round, so we were able to adapt a hose to fit in the
opening.  It's been quite satisfactory, both for humidity chambers
and for setting up an ultrasonic mister for consolidating.  The
reservoir is a bit smaller than the PEL humidifier, which meant we
had to buy some smaller bottles when using it as an ultrasonic
mister, but that was easily done. It's clean, quiet, and compact.

Looking online, I can't tell whether the same model would be
available in Australia, but it looks like the Eurolab Ultrasonic
Mister would be comparable, with a similar round output opening at
the top.  In pictures, it looks like the round white part that
controls mist direction could be removed, and a hose could be fitted
into the opening.

Grace White
Associate Paper Conservator
Etherington Conservation Services