Subject: Framing

Framing

From: Amber Morgan <morgana<-a>
Date: Wednesday, April 23, 2008
I am hoping some conservators out there might help a registrar out.
We have heard conflicting things regarding the use of spacers in
frames, particularly for oversized works on paper.  Some
conservators have encouraged the use of spacers as a method of
keeping the surface of the print away from the glazing.  Others
prefer no spacers, saying that the backing board alone isn't enough
to support our oversized works and the pressure of the glazing on
the mat is necessary to keep the object from bowing outwards.  Is
there a preferred method among the conservation framing community?

the warhol:
Amber E. Morgan
Assistant Registrar
117 Sandusky Street