Subject: Electrolytic cathodic reduction

Electrolytic cathodic reduction

From: Diana Hamann <dhamann2000<-a>
Date: Saturday, April 26, 2008
I am a BS in Chemistry and work in conservation in a museum for
History, which preserves a large collection. As part of my Master
studies, I'm carrying out an indoor air corrosivity determination,
following the method outlined in the ISO standard 11844-2 (2005)
(Corrosion of metals and alloys--Classification of low corrosivity
of indoor atmospheres--Part 2: Determination of corrosion attack in
indoor atmospheres), by electrolytic cathodic reduction.

As I see in recent papers, this standard is being used for indoor
air corrosivity determination in museums.

But, besides current density and electrolyte conditions, it gives no
indication about the way the metal probes should be mounted as
working electrode to do the electrolytic analysis.

Neither does this the referred standard, ANSI/ISA-S71-04-1985,
widely cited by authors working on Indoor Air Quality determination.

In turn, ANSI/ISA-S71-04-1985 refers to a publication from 1939:
"Tarnish Studies", by W.E. Campbell and U.B. Thomas (Bell Telephone
System Technical Publications, Monograph 13, 1170) as the method to
determine the corrosion film thickness.

This 1939 publication is not available through the various reference
services I can access.

So my question is: Is there an optimal way to connect the probes as
the working electrode, in a standard three-electrode cell? (since
welding a connector can affect or disrupt the corrosion film).

I would greatly appreciate any advice, which could allow me to work
complying the ISO standard.

Diana Hamann
Museo Historico Provincial
Rosario