Subject: CarbOthello pastel pencils

CarbOthello pastel pencils

From: Mark Gottsegen <mdgottsegen<-a>
Date: Saturday, April 19, 2008
Please allow me to add to Michael Skalka's comments regarding
pastels and colored pencils (Conservation DistList Instance: 21:56
Friday, April 18, 2008).

Along with others, I have worked on these ASTM D01.57 lightfastness
testing methods (ASTM D4303 and D6901) since beginning with ASTM
International in 1978 and can vouch for Michael's assertions, and
support his recommendations.

I can add that hiring out your own D6901 tests on the materials you
want to use--using the services of a materials testing service like
Q-Lab or Atlas--is much less expensive than many people assume, and
the more samples you test, the less expensive it is.  On the other
hand, you can easily perform your own tests if you have the
specified equipment and access to an outdoor exposure site.

Again, the first step is to buy D6901.

Mark Gottsegen

                  Distributed: Sunday, April 20, 2008