Subject: Elvace

Elvace

From: Susan Lunas <bookbinder<-a>
Date: Monday, April 14, 2008
In October, 2007, I purchased a gallon of Elvace 45675.  I quickly
discovered that this must be a new formulation, and wondered if any
of you have had problems with it.  Here's what I have observed:

    a) small amounts poured into clean containers, grow mold within
    two weeks.

    b) Bill Minter's mixture (pva/methyl cellulose/paste)--stored in
    a clean container, on a cool shelf--goes bad (rancid smell of
    bad paste, and the mixture goes from thick to runny) within a
    week

I have used Elvace for twenty years, and hadn't observed any
problems with it until now.  Has anyone else had moldy Elvace 45675
recently?  If so, how do you keep your gallon or five gallon pail
from molding?

Susan Lunas
Many Moons Book Conservation
Eugene, Oregon