Subject: Marine tinplate

Marine tinplate

From: Erin Secord <esecord<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 15, 2008
We have a heavily concreted cylindrical bucket made of very thin
tinned iron. Both metal layers are now mostly corrosion and easily
delaminate from each other. At the moment we are still removing
debris and sediment from excavation. We are thinking we may display
it with the concretion in place to retain its integrity. Does anyone
have experience with marine tinplate or have some advice? I'd love
to hear about it.

Erin Secord
Conservator
The Mariners' Museum