Subject: Shagreen

Shagreen

From: Simon Moore <simon.moore<-a>
Date: Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Emily Lin <nilylime [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am a student of the art conservation program at Queen's
>University. I am writing to request sources of shagreen for the
>microscope box that I am treating. The box has a shagreen covering,
>which was dyed green, and much of it has been lost.
>
>In a previous posting on this list, I learned that shagreen consists
>of the untanned skin of sharks, with the placoid scales being
>smoothened and polished.

Just a quick word of advice about shagreen which comprises the
(usually dyed green) skins of many different species of elasmobranch
fishes.  I would suggest that you show a sample or send a photo
(with measuring scale) to a local icthyologist.  Rhomboidal scales
tend to be from rays and circular from sharks.  The are many books
on the subject and Jean Peffertini's Le Galuchat is quite useful
(publisher: Vial) but is in French. I have come across areas of
textured and painted resin where some rather unethical restoration
was carried out.

Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Senior Conservator of Natural Sciences
Hampshire County Council