Subject: Adhesive for coral

Adhesive for coral

From: Simon Moore <simon.moore<-a>
Date: Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Miguel Garcia <miguelalexgarcia [at] gmail__com> writes

>I have a small natural coral object that cracked in two pieces, and
>I needed to glue them together. Has anyone ever experienced an
>adhesive for coral that could work as a structural binder for this
>problem?

This slightly depends on the coral.  For reef coral (abrasive
surface, bleached white) then neutral pH PVA penetrates well and
provides a firm bond providing not too much weight from the specimen
is reliant on the adhesive.  For weight-bearing joins a dowel rod or
non-oxidising wire or wood is required.

>From your text I suspect you are referring to precious coral which
also responds well to PVA but also to paraloid B72 with glass
micro-balloons if a slight gap-fill is required.

Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Senior Conservator of Natural Sciences
Hampshire County Council
Recreation and Heritage Department