Subject: Shagreen

Shagreen

From: Emily Lin <nilylime<-a>
Date: Wednesday, April 9, 2008
I am a student of the art conservation program at Queen's
University. I am writing to request sources of shagreen for the
microscope box that I am treating. The box has a shagreen covering,
which was dyed green, and much of it has been lost.

In a previous posting on this list, I learned that shagreen consists
of the untanned skin of sharks, with the placoid scales being
smoothened and polished.

The owner did provide a piece of shagreen that is made of ray skin,
but it does not match the original surface well. Does anyone know of
suppliers who carry untanned shark skin that still has the placoid
scales remaining on the surface? Alternatively, could someone
suggest other in-filling materials?

Emily Lin

                  Distributed: Friday, April 11, 2008