Subject: Repairing board crimper

Repairing board crimper

From: Emily K. Bell <ebell<-a>
Date: Wednesday, April 2, 2008
We have a foot-pedal-operated board crimper (of the type that many
people crack their shins on) with what appears to be a melamine
table top.  There is a metal strip that is supposed to be glued onto
the table, providing a groove for the board to be pushed into by the
crimper to form the crease. This metal strip has nearly completely
detached from the surface.  It is in two sections, both of which are
now curved upwards and only stuck to the table top in their middles.

The crimper is useable right now, but I suspect it won't be long
before the metal strips detach completely.  I have seen other
crimpers with the same problem, and I would like to know if anyone
has ever successfully reattached the strips.  Melamine and metal are
not things I normally work with, so I don't know what kind of
adhesive would be a good choice.  The current dried-up adhesive
residue is yellowish and powdery, kind of like old masking tape.  If
you find my description difficult to follow, I'll be happy to email
photos to anyone who would like to take a look.

Emily K. Bell
Senior Library Associate/Conservation
Wellesley College
Wellesley, MA USA