Subject: Beads

Beads

From: Ashley Jehle <jehlea<-a>
Date: Thursday, April 3, 2008
I am an intern at the Smithsonian National Museum of the American
Indian.  Recently, I have come across a strand of plastic-looking
beads that appear to have insect damage.  They are bright pink and
are molded on the string (not loose beads).  The bead necklaces are
on a Huron or Wyandot doll that was accessioned in 1930.  No other
information is known about its history.  RAMAN spectroscopy revealed
the beads are made of starch (confirmed by a positive potassium
iodide test).  XRF revealed higher levels of zinc, rubidium, and
potassium in the beads than in the fabric of the doll.  I am looking
to do more research on this material and this type of bead.  Does
anyone have experience with this type of material?

Ashley Jehle
Pre-program Conservation Intern
Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian
Cultural Resources Center
Suitland, MD 20746
301-238-1423
Fax: 301-238-3201