Subject: Non-aqueous consolidants for matte, flaking paintings

Non-aqueous consolidants for matte, flaking paintings

From: Bettina Ebert <ebertbettina<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 1, 2008
I am currently treating two paintings on canvas which have a very
matte surface appearance and exhibit extensive tenting paint, with
associated flaking. There is almost no internal cohesion, and the
paint layers are very brittle. Plasticising the paint with solvent
vapours has had only minimal effect. I had to rule out aqueous
treatments due to large amounts of water-soluble components in the
paint layers. I have tested numerous consolidants with added matting
agents, but have not had any success so far. If there are
consolidants or treatments available that I may not be aware of, I
would be very grateful to hear from you. Any suggestions are very
welcome, since I am fast running out of options!

Bettina Ebert
MA Conservation of Fine Art
Easel Paintings, final year student
Northumbria University