Subject: Sewing frames

Sewing frames

From: Peter Verheyen <pdverhey<-a>
Date: Thursday, March 20, 2008
Ian Bogus <ian.bogus<-a t->yale< . >edu> writes

>Our sewing frame has finally bit the dust and I have been trying to
>find another.  Most of the ones I have found are relatively simple
>and straightforward but of course seeing a picture often makes
>quality and usability issues difficult to assess.  Does anyone have
>suggestions on particular frames?  I recall seeing cantilevered one
>without the adjustable posts; has anyone used it or know if they are
>still being made?

I recommend the Planetary Collage sewing frame made by Tim Ely. It's
not cheap, but highly (and easily) adjustable and robust. You can
see images at <URL:http://www.philobiblon.com/probono.shtml#ely

I had a wooden cantilevered one at home, and have a traditional
wooden one in the lab at work. This one beats them both. Very high
quality materials and workmanship, too. No, I'm not receiving
anything for the endorsement, just a happy customer.

Peter D. Verheyen
Preservation and Digital Access Librarian
Special Collections Research Center
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 26, 2008