Subject: A death--addendum

A death--addendum

From: Beth Doyle <b.doyle<-a>
Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2008
It was with great sadness that I read of Ellen McCrady's passing.
There are two people that I credit my decision to pursue
conservation as a career, and one of them is Ellen McCrady. Through
the Abbey Newsletter I learned how exciting and varied this
profession could be. Through Ellen I learned how giving and
supportive this profession can be. When I was a conservation student
at UT Austin she opened her home, and her extensive files, to me
when I needed help with research. She was always happy to offer
assistance and guidance, and seemed genuinely thrilled to see the
conservation students get out into the field and thrive. When I
would bump into her at conferences she was quick with a smile and
always asked how I was doing. I suspect she never knew just how much
we all looked up to her, how much I looked up to her.

As a profession we will miss her enthusiasm, her dogged pursuit of
knowledge, and her willingness to share all she discovered with her
colleagues. I will miss all those things and more. Godspeed Ellen,
may your friends and family find comfort in each other and the
community that loved and respected her so much.

Beth Doyle
Collections Conservator
Duke University Libraries

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 26, 2008