Subject: A death

A death

From: Walter Henry <consdist-request<-a>
Date: Monday, March 10, 2008
It is incredibly difficult to speak adequately of the incredible
contributions Ellen McCrady made to our field.  Honors--in addition
to receiving the Banks/Harris award, she was an Honorary Member of
AIC, one of only a few dozen so honored--do not begin to reflect the
importance of this woman in the history of book and paper
conservation over the past few decades, nor the extent to which she
gave herself fully to bettering the field. For many conservators of
my generation, who grew up with the newsletters, Ellen's unfailing
depth of commitment was more than inspiring; it was downright
intimidating.

I feel very fortunate to have worked with Ellen on a multi-year
effort to bring the Abbey Newsletter and Paper Conservation Advocate
to the Web. You will find the product of that effort in CoOL at
<URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/abbey/>. Unfortunately it
represents but a small sampling of what the newsletters offered
because we found it inordinately difficult to locate Abbey authors
many years after publication and thus were not able to obtain
permission to include those articles.

If you wrote for either the Abbey Newsletter or the Paper
Conservation Advocate and do not see you your work in the Abbey site
in CoOL, it would be a wonderful thing if you would get in touch
with me about granting permission to mount your articles.  These
publications, even when the content may be dated, are important
documentation of the growth of book and paper conservation and
deserve to be seen.

Walter Henry
Conservation DistList/Conservation OnLine

                  Distributed: Monday, March 10, 2008