Subject: Sphagnum moss

Sphagnum moss

From: Jamye Jamison <jamyejamison<-a>
Date: Sunday, March 2, 2008
Does anyone have information on the use of sphagnum moss on
paper/books as a treatment for mold and/or mildew? We have searched
the Cons DistList and found nothing. A google search found that it
is used extensively in horticulture in a grass like form. We have
been told by a librarian in India that she was instructed to use a
liquid form diluted in water as a treatment for mold in books. She
brushes the cover and pages with the solution and allows it to dry.
She was told that it has no adverse affects on paper, cloth or
leather and does not leave any residue behind. The bottles of
concentrated sphagnum moss she currently has came from Australia.

We are extremely concerned that this is not an appropriate use of
this substance and could be causing damage to the books. Has anyone
used this technique for the treatment of mold on books, paper or any
other materials and/or does anyone know of its long term affects?

Jamye Jamison
Conservator
Zukor Art Conservation
Oakland, CA