Subject: UV lamps

UV lamps

From: Joanna Cook <joanna.cook<-a>
Date: Thursday, February 28, 2008
We are currently looking at changing the policy for the use of UV
lamps in the National Archives reading rooms.  Readers currently
book out the lamps each day for use in examining documents with
faded writing however, we are concerned that this unlimited access
will lead to long-term damage.  I would be interested in hearing
from anyone else who has formulated a policy for the use of UV lamps
and what systems they have put in place to monitor and limit the
exposure to the documents.

Joanna Cook
Preservation Assistant
Collection Care Department