Subject: Enclosing historic house in glass-walled structure

Enclosing historic house in glass-walled structure

From: Jane Foley <jfcfoley<-a>
Date: Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Sarah Price <sprice [at] rogersark__org> writes

>Our museum is planning a major expansion and one of the design ideas
>that is under discussion (sometimes argument) is enclosing our
>historic brick home within a larger glass-walled structure. ...

We are currently going through the process of designing a cover
building in glass. timber and copper to enclose the Lower City
Church at the Byzantine city of Amorium in Turkey.

We engaged the services of a British architect, experienced in the
design of covers for historic buildings. We incorporated all aspects
of conservation and collection management in our design meetings
with admirable, economic, energy saving solutions to environmental
and structural problems found. He has taken into account all
important points from conservation of the structure and exhibits to
access and display problems. We are more than satisfied with the
outcome.

He was engaged in 2006, we have a great design and are beginning
fund-raising. Please contact me if you would like his advice or
direction.

Jane Foley ACR
Assistant Director/Head of Conservation
Amorium Excavation Project