Subject: Water damage to illuminated manuscripts

Water damage to illuminated manuscripts

From: Heather Hamilton <hhamilton<-a>
Date: Thursday, February 21, 2008
I am hoping to hear from conservators or librarians who have first
hand experience with salvage of water-damaged illuminated parchment
manuscripts. Can you direct me to articles regarding first-hand
accounts of flood incidents and manuscript conservation? My
literature searches have produced limited results. Questions of
primary interest to me are: How were the parchment and the media
affected by water exposure? What were the "first response" actions
taken? Did these actions prove effective? What were the
post-disaster conservation measures? Does your institution have a
disaster recovery plan that addresses illuminated manuscripts
specifically? Thank you!

Heather Hamilton
Conservator for Special Collections
Harvard College Library
Weissman Preservation Center

                Distributed: Saturday, February 23, 2008