Subject: Late 19th century newspaper

Late 19th century newspaper

From: Giordana Santoro <g.santoro<-a>
Date: Tuesday, February 19, 2008
I need to carry out conservation treatments on a French newspaper
titled 'L'Aurore', dated 13 January 1898.   The condition of the
paper is typical of most late 19th century newspapers in that the
paper is yellowed with brittleness setting in, however it is not as
brittle as a first look would suggest.  There are losses and cracks
along the edges and along the areas where it was folded (it was
folded three times).

I have my own ideas how best to conserve this newspaper, however I
need to consider the future exhibition and research needs of this
item and I was wondering what the latest thinking is on treatments
and materials now available for conserving newspapers.  Any thoughts
on the pros and cons of encapsulation would be appreciated.

Giordana Santoro
Paper Conservator,
National Library of Scotland

                Distributed: Saturday, February 23, 2008