Subject: Nitrocellulose lacquer paintings

Nitrocellulose lacquer paintings

From: Lydia Gutierrez <lydia.gutierrez<-a>
Date: Monday, February 18, 2008
I am undertaking a conservation research internship at the Auckland
Art Gallery to examine and document the materials and techniques
used by the New Zealand artist Ralph Hotere for his black enamel
paintings from the 1960s and 70s. Hotere was using 'Duco' and
'Brolite' lacquers, nitrocellulose based paints predominantly used
in the automotive industry during the period. He sprayed the lacquer
onto prepared hardboard and then polished them back to create
incredibly smooth, high gloss surfaces. These surfaces easily suffer
scratches, finger-marks and even mild cleaning agents cause streaks,
destroying the original aesthetic.

Conservation of the works is highly problematic and as part of my
research I am conducting a survey for conservators who have had
experience in treating paintings using similar materials. I would be
most grateful to know if anyone has had any success and to what
degree, what was the condition of the work before treatment and what
techniques were used.

Lydia Gutierrez
Marylyn Mayo Intern (Conservation)
Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tamaki
PO Box 5449
AucklandNew Zealand
+64 9 3077712

                Distributed: Saturday, February 23, 2008