Subject: Sabun lerak for washing batik

Sabun lerak for washing batik

From: Kristin Phillips <phillips.kristin<-a>
Date: Tuesday, February 5, 2008
A surfactant sabun lerak derived from the lerak tree (Sapindus
rarak?) is commonly used for washing cotton batik in Indonesia. I am
interested in finding out the composition of the contents sabun
lerak and if anyone has any experience or knowledge of this
surfactant. In particular I am interested to know if it is a
suitable anionic surfactant for conservation use and if it has any
effect on the long-term preservation of cotton batik. Any
information would be of interest.

Kristin Phillips
Principal Conservator Textiles
Artlab Australia
70 Kintore Avenue
Adelaide SA 5000
+61 8 8207 7520
Fax: +61 8 8207 7529

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 13, 2008