Subject: History of preventive conservation

History of preventive conservation

From: Margit J. Smith <mjps<-a>
Date: Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Simon Lambert <simonlambert9 [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am working on a paper about the history of preventive conservation
>as part of a degree in art conservation. I am interested in getting
>members' impressions and opinions about the early years of
>preventive conservation, what they think triggered this change in
>attitude towards conservation and when it occurred. ...

I would like to draw his attention to:

    Minutes of the St. Gall Conference
    <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/
        byorg/abbey/an/an22/an22-7/an22-702.html>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

It is my translation of a conference that took place in St. Gallen
(Switzerland) in 1898 and was probably in large measure responsible
for the future of conservation practices. As the list of attendees
indicates, interest in the topic was widespread with representatives
from many countries. I hope this helps,

Margit J. Smith, Associate Professor
Head of Cataloging and Preservation
Copley Library, University of San Diego
619-260-2365
Fax: 619-260-7633

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 13, 2008