Subject: Enclosing historic house in glass-walled structure

Enclosing historic house in glass-walled structure

From: Sarah Price <sprice<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2008
Although this question addresses museum design, I am asking about it
in regards to the collections care ramifications.

Our museum is planning a major expansion and one of the design ideas
that is under discussion (sometimes argument) is enclosing our
historic brick home within a larger glass-walled structure. The
historic house is a guided tour exhibit of period decor complete
with appropriate collections objects. The discussion wages over the
design impact as well as the environmental protection for the house
versus creating a potentially harmful "micro climate," etc. Has
anyone had good/bad experiences managing environmental controls
within glass walls or structures, especially with collections
objects involved?

Sarah Price
Curator of Collections
Rogers Historical Museum