Subject: Metal dust on fire engines

Metal dust on fire engines

From: Melissa Heaver <mmheaver<-a>
Date: Wednesday, January 30, 2008
We recently had a welder at the Fire Museum
<URL:http://www.firemuseummd.org> who did a bunch of steel beam
cutting, welding, etc. on our roof, in preparation for the
installation of a very large air conditioner. Unfortunately,
although we had taken precautions to cover apparatus in the vicinity
of the hole, there is metal and roofing material dust all over 40+
pieces of apparatus.

The curator and I know that we shouldn't just dust off everything,
because we will definitely scratch and permanently mark all that
paint and chrome. We also feel that we could use a HEPA vac to
remove the dust, especially if we cover it with plastic screening
(like the stuff I use for textiles). However, I'm not sure this is
the best way to remove all of the mess, and didn't know if
microfiber cloths would be better. If any of you all have any ideas,
we'd love to hear them. We have lots of cleaning up to do between
now and May when we open for the season.

Melissa M. Heaver
PR Guru (pro tem) / Registrar / Web Manager
Fire Museum of Maryland
1301 York Road-Rear Building
Lutherville, MD 21093-6023
410-321-7500