Subject: Materials thesaurus

Materials thesaurus

From: Elsa Bourguignon <elsa.bourguignon<-a>
Date: Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Patricia Reymond <patricia.reymond [at] olympic__org> writes

>... In order to
>improve the monitoring of their condition, we are planning to
>replace our vocabulary-controlled list of about 200 terms by a
>material thesaurus or at least a hierarchical list. Could you
>recommend us a synthetic material oriented thesaurus (French and/or
>English)?

The Getty Research Institute has produced a number of structured
vocabulary databases; in particular, the Art and Architecture
Thesaurus

    <URL:http://www.getty.edu/
        research/conducting_research/vocabularies/aat/>

may be of interest to you

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

While this Thesaurus has a very large scope and therefore may not be
detailed enough on synthetic materials for your purpose, it is worth
looking at to see the way terms are organized hierarchically.

Elsa Bourguignon
Architectural conservator

                 Distributed: Monday, February 4, 2008