Subject: Internship at Shelburne Museum

Internship at Shelburne Museum

From: Nancie Ravenel <nravenel<-a>
Date: Friday, January 25, 2008
Summer Internship
Shelburne Museum

The Shelburne Museum <URL:http://www.shelburnemuseum.org> is
offering two summer work projects in the conservation treatment of
polychrome sculpture. The project will either be eight weeks or
eleven weeks in duration.  The intern will document and treat a
carousel horse made by the Gustav Dentzel factory in 1902 over the
course of eight weeks. As an optional three week extension, the
intern will document and treat a rounding board from the carousel.
Each project has been chosen by donors to Shelburne Museum's Adopt a
Carousel Animal Program. The animals are made of carved wood
embellished with brass and glass ornaments.  The rounding board is a
painted flat wood panel. Past treatments of animals from the same
carousel have involved removal of maintenance linseed oil coatings
from the wood, metal, and glass surfaces and fabricating missing
ornaments or portions of ornaments. More information on the history
of the carousel and the project can be found in an article by
Richard Kerschner and Nancie Ravenel, "Here We Go 'Round Again:
Cleaning Linseed Oil from Carousel Animals at Shelburne Museum" in
JAIC 45 (2006): 201-210.  With the help of interns, we continue to
learn more about this rare carousel and further our ability to
safely remove maintenance linseed oil from the original paint on the
animals.

This project would be appropriate for a graduate level student or an
advanced undergraduate level student. In return for undertaking this
challenging internship nestled between the Adirondack and Green
Mountains, we will provide a stipend of $1750 for eight weeks or
$2500 for eleven weeks and a private room in a house shared with
other museum interns.  Interested individuals should send a cover
letter, CV, and contact information for three references, only two
of which may be from academia, to Nancie Ravenel at
nravenel<-a t->shelburnemuseum< . >org by February 22, 2008.

Nancie Ravenel
Objects Conservator
Shelburne Museum
5555 Shelburne Rd.